People love to learn, grow and develop effective life skills, but have very little time to read.
The Scala Network presents “The Unconventional Book Club”.
There are many non-fiction books out there with a wealth of knowledge, support and potential to enhance lives, but remain un-read, their wisdom not acted upon.
Join us for a series of events with Andrea Seydel, avid reader, positive psychology practitioner, and certified life coach, for an unconventional approach to reading books as a community! Take a deep dive into the world of positive psychology coaching as Andrea teaches, highlights, and offers in-depth opportunity for application of the key concepts in each book.
How does The Unconventional Book Club work?
- Participants vote from a pre-selected list. Spend the month reading the book or simply join the online event and have the book taught to you through lecture, lively discussion and breakout groups.
- Attend an online meet-up held for 90 minutes during lunch or after work hours.
- Learn the concepts as Andrea summarizes and presents the book.
- Apply the content using actionable items to help you people benefit from the key concepts.
Why does The Unconventional Book Club Work?
- Brings a sense of accomplishment: According to Martin Seligmen’s model of well-being, achievement is one of the critical elements that enhance our subjective well-being.
- Time is a commodity: The Unconventional Book Club saves time and money while still providing immense learning opportunities.
- Fresh content and inspiration: New learning and fresh content with every book ecourages involvement, motivation, and engagement.
- High application & engagement: By using the coaching model and experiential approach, participants are engaged and experience measurable impact on productivity, well-being and happiness.
The Unconventional Book Club is a series of individual events and not a monthly book club.
Cost: $45.00 per event, your first one is free with promo code READING
Try out our unconventional format and experience these energetic and educational sessions for yourself.
Next Book Club: Friday, February 21
Our next featured book is “Grit” by Angela Duckworth.
“In this must-read book for anyone striving to succeed, pioneering psychologist Angela Duckworth shows parents, educators, students, and business people both seasoned and new that the secret to outstanding achievement is not talent but a focused persistence called grit.
Why do some people succeed and others fail? Sharing new insights from her landmark research on grit, Angela Duckworth explains why talent is hardly a guarantor of success. Rather, other factors can be even more crucial such as identifying our passions and following through on our commitments.
Drawing on her own powerful story as the daughter of a scientist who frequently bemoaned her lack of smarts, Duckworth describes her winding path through teaching, business consulting, and neuroscience, which led to the hypothesis that what really drives success is not genius, but a special blend of passion and long-term perseverance. As a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, Duckworth created her own character lab and set out to test her theory.
Here, she takes readers into the field to visit teachers working in some of the toughest schools, cadets struggling through their first days at West Point, and young finalists in the National Spelling Bee. She also mines fascinating insights from history and shows what can be gleaned from modern experiments in peak performance. Finally, she shares what she’s learned from interviewing dozens of high achievers; from JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon to the cartoon editor of The New Yorker to Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll.
Winningly personal, insightful, and even life-changing, Grit is a book about what goes through your head when you fall down, and how that not talent or luck makes all the difference.” – Goodreads
About Andrea Seydel:
Andrea works with youth, teens and young adults, teaching mental resiliency and applied positive psychology!! She also teaches the power of mindset and positive psychology around weight management and self esteem for women and girls! Through her coaching, programs and training she spreads the science of well-being! Andrea has a degree in psychology and post graduate studies in applied positive psychology. She is a certified Life Coach, Yoga Instructor and Registered Nutritional Consulting Practitioner.
Andrea turned her reading addiction and love of learning into an Unconventional Book Club Podcast, Live Life Happy, where she reads and highlights the books for you. She is also an author of numerous books and founder of LLH Publishing.
Andrea is a proud mom of two.
“I’ve always been addicted to books! When I was a kid, my mom had to put a limit on the number of books I was allowed to check out from the library. As I got older, my book collection and obsession grew. As an adult I was reading 3 to 5 books per week and taking in depth notes… and I thought … I can share this with people who LOVE TO LEARN but don’t have a lot of time to read… And the Live Life Happy Unconventional Book Club was born!”