Scala’s Network’s Take the Lead Series is a totally unique and intimate executive program designed to prepare emerging women leaders to advance to the next level in their careers. The program of three sessions combines in-depth roundtable discussion and custom workshop programming with the opportunity to meet and engage with some of Canada’s most successful women.
2019 Spring Program Dates:
Building High-Performing Teams | April 9, 3 pm – 9 pm
BigStorming® for Great Ideas that Achieve Results | April 30, 3 pm – 7 pm
The Shift to Leader as Coach | May 22, 9 am – 12 pm
Strengthening Interpersonal Team Dynamics | June 10, 3 pm – 8 pm
Take the Lead
Today’s teams face new challenges – team members bring a greater diversity of backgrounds and perspectives, they’re often more widely dispersed, and they’re increasingly dependent on complex technologies to function. However, the success of a team still centers on core fundamentals of collaboration and shared commitment. To create and nurture high-performance teams, leaders need to strengthen the factors that will motivate and engage, and build resilience and flexibility to adapt to constant change. So, how can we help you become a more effective team leader and improve the energy and collaboration in your team, raise performance and drive creativity and innovation?
Take the Lead is a series of programs that we have developed at Scala Network for women who are ready to take the next step in their careers. In our Team Leadership program, you will learn the building blocks to create successful teams, how to generate big ideas through effective brainstorming, and improve your leadership with a coaching approach to enhance both individual performance and team dynamics.
Our leadership programs are interactive and collaborative, offering experiential learning and inspiration from expert facilitators and experienced women business leaders. In this intimate and supportive environment, we will challenge assumptions, share leadership wisdom, and strengthen the skills that will help you achieve your potential as a team leader.
Please join us this exciting new program from Scala Network.
The purpose of Scala’s networking and collaborative learning model is simple: Ignite discussion
Our guest mentors encourage participation and conversation by:
Providing Fuel for Thought
Leading Round Table Discussions
Sharing Insights, Perspectives & Questions
Scala Network’s mentors are the first to acknowledge setbacks and challenges in navigating their own roads to success. They share their own personal or professional anecdotes and experiences to provide real life perspective on session topics, engaging the group in conversation and creating a connectedness that deepens during the program.
Over the course of the program, you will have the opportunity to meet with each of the mentors to exchange ideas, share challenges that keep you up at night, and learn techniques to solve problems and harness your opportunities to grow as a leader.
Session 1: Building High-Performing Teams
Great leaders know how to get the most out of their team. They energize, orient, and engage their employees with a vision that inspires and, at the same time, communicates what needs to be done and why. The team buys into a common identity based on shared values. They create processes that break down barriers to cooperation and information exchange. And the team leader ensures that each employee feels valued for their contribution to the team’s overall goals and the success of the organization.
In this session, participants will explore the following topics and take away concrete ideas and proven approaches:
- Building the right team and team structure – optimizing the size and mix, balancing strengths and skills, and designing tasks and processes.
- Motivating your team – boosting morale, trust and empowerment by inspiring and enabling your team.
- Providing effective feedback – using recognition as a powerful motivator and confidence builder, and directive feedback to guide, support and maintain team momentum.
- The importance of goal setting – setting explicit goals that are challenging and consequential to inspire team creativity and commitment.
- Measuring team effectiveness – evaluating outputs and performance, collaborative ability, and individual development.
Session 2: BigStorming® for Great Ideas
that Achieve Results
Innovative ideas are like oxygen: they energize, they stimulate, they nourish. Many of us have endured bad brainstorming sessions, where the most frequent insight is: “That would never work” and the end result is: “keep on doing what we’re doing, only do it better, faster, or re-package it in a different colour”. Big ideas rally customers and teams around a brand. They incite passion and they achieve impressive results.
But where do great ideas come from? And how do you get them? Through training and research, Barefoot Brainstorming has developed a process guaranteed to produce big ideas: BigStorming®. During this high energy, hands-on session, you will learn and apply a number of unique brainstorming techniques that are guaranteed to generate big ideas that will knock your socks off!
In this session, participants will learn how:
- Well-designed brainstorming gives a team absolute permission to look around at a bigger world of ideas and possibilities.
- Great brainstorming encourages new perspectives and it drives risk management right into the mainstream consciousness of the organization.
- Effective brainstorming depends on using a very specific scientifically proven creative process – not just getting together around cold pizza and asking if anyone has an idea!
Session 3: The Shift to Leader as Coach
The world in which we work and lead is in the midst of a major culture shift, from old style command and control towards a new, more collaborative way of working. This shift is driven by an accelerating pace of change and the increasing complexity of the challenges we’re facing. A crucial implication of this shift is that collaboration sits at the core of how work gets done and how leaders need to lead.
Effective collaboration requires high levels of conversation intelligence and a social climate conducive to high quality connections and engagement. A coaching approach is a specialized form of conversation intelligence and an important element in helping leaders to successfully make this shift.
IIn this workshop, we address the following questions:
- What is a coach approach and why does it matter?
- What’s driving the shift towards a coach approach to leadership?
- What does it mean for you to shift to a coach approach?
- What are the keys to an effective coach approach?
Participants of this session can expect:
- A highly interactive learning experience with engaging activities and practice.
- Focused learning to help you gain competence, confidence and credibility.
- Concrete ideas and coaching frameworks to enhance your effectiveness as a team leader.
Session 4: Strengthening Interpersonal Team Dynamics
Understanding different styles and building awareness of individual’s strengths can help a leader to design a collaborative environment that will enable complementary partnering and support within the team, increase creativity and innovation, and promote a higher level of clarity, accountability and autonomy. An effective team creates norms that encourage positive group dynamics and strengthens engagement and commitment to the team, fueling energy and productivity, and enhancing adaptability and resilience.
In this session, team leaders will learn to:
- Influence and persuade others in a team culture that respects diverse perspectives.
- Achieve consensus for improved decision making and shared accountability.
- Become an empathetic leader to encourage open dialogue and build trust.
- Manage stress effectively and build resilience in the team.
- Celebrate wins and team progress, acknowledging that everyone’s success is amplified by being part of the team.
Spring 2019 mentors
Nancy Melcher Consulting
Director, Human Resources
Additional mentors to be confirmed soon.
Career Transition & Leadership Coach
Process Based Living
Become a Scala Network Partner
Are you looking to invest in your women leaders? Do you have products, tools and resources that could add value to our events and to our attendees? If so, we would love to have a conversation with you about becoming a Partner.
We collaborate with your team to devise customized activations that uniquely position your organization and engage our network. As a Partner of our Take the Lead Series, your investment covers the cost of registration for a women leader from your organization as well as sponsoring the registration cost for a woman in transition. Partners are profiled in our program promotions online and at the event, and have the opportunity to provide collateral materials to participants. We also offer Partners editorial opportunities to share thought leadership content with our entire network.
For more information on becoming a Partner with Scala Network and the Take the Lead Series, please contact Christina Greenberg.